Sunday 12 August 2012

New WIP and hurty knee

I decided to knit my mum a little shawlette type thingy for her birthday (27th August).  I chose a free pattern on ravelry and ordered the yarn.  Now to start with this was a bit tricky as my mum is allergic to wool and so I needed to use 100% cotton.  So anyway I found a pattern, ordered the cotton and the needles and the next day the package came through the post :


I was excited to try the needles, as I am used to knitting small things and so I have never attempted anything on circular needles before.  However, I had been searching through so many patterns, I accidently ordered the 4ply instead of the DK.  Oh.  So I was back on ravelry again looking for a pattern for 4ply.  I found one eventually called Lunatis Folium which I had to pay for, but it was only a couple of pounds so that's ok.

So I downloaded the pattern, pressed print and . . . my printer is not working.  So I wrote out the pattern.  By hand.  A lace pattern with 387 stitches.  Which DD2 then screwed up for me.  Aaargh!

Armed with a smoothed out pattern and my new needles I began the labourious task of casting on all 387 stitches.  I began row 1, and halfway down the row the cotton snapped (to be fair I pulled it far too hard doing a k2tog so it's my own fault).  

Attempt number two - DD1 starts chatting to me while I am trying to count, so I fail miserably.  Then I cant get the stitches off the needle.  I am starting to think The Big Man In The Sky does not want me to be knitting this.  

Attempt number three - hurrah!  We are off!


Now clearly I was not supposed to be doing well as I was punished by bashing my knee into the door frame, which hurt very very very much and still hurts this morning.  On the plus side, it meant all I could do last night was sit watching the Olympics (go Tom!) with my leg up, and knit.  So much progress is being made.  Fingers crossed it will be finished by the 27th!

No comments:

Post a Comment